Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

I had a stunning realization this morning. As an adult, I haven't been a happy person. It seems like worry and depression are my constant companions. Only since I've been married has happiness come back into my life, but lately it seems like I've been slumping back into my old depressive ways, and I don't want to go there. So I wonder: what is the root cause of my depressive tendencies?

I started adding up the things that make me happy. There are a lot of them, but as I was making the list I realized something: Most of the little things that make me happy are "guilty pleasures". Thinking about it further, I realized that most of my little pleasures are things that the other people in my life do not approve of.

Here are some examples:

Cooking
Eating
Playing games
Watching sports on TV
Food Network
Shopping for Electronic Gadgets
Sleeping late

Every one of these is something that I like to do, but a lot of the pleasure gained from them is lost in the "guilt" that they generate because others in my life are disapproving.

Maybe I care too much about what others think. The only problem is whenever I try to ignore what others think, I get in trouble. This is going to require some more thought.

4 comments:

Bern said...

I may be paranoid but are you refering to me as "the other people in my life" ?
Well, we all have our guilty pleasures. Mine is browsing in HobbyLobby and inventing something edible or inedible in the kitchen or taking a walk in the jungle. Sometimes, it's more fun to indulge in these pleasures with your loved ones. But I guess I am only speaking for myself here.

Jason said...

"Others" refers to anyone that isn't me, of course.

Anonymous said...

Your "pleasures" may be guilty, but at least, most of them can involve someone else. Let's review.

Cooking - most people prefer to do it alone (as in "get out of my kitchen"), however, sausage making requires an assistant and every good cook needs at least one guinea pig.

Eating - sure, eating alone is alright, but much more enjoyable in company of others (well, unless you try to keep up with Chris!!)

Playing games - usually requires two players

Watching sports on TV - ok, so you are on your own on that one!

Food Network - can be viewed as "educational", just like the boring History Channel, therefore not a sin (per my husband).

Shopping for Electronic Gadgets - you'll make the bank happy

Sleeping late - definitely something you can enjoy with your wifey

So even if people give you a hard time about your guilty pleasures, at least you can take someone else down with you!

Chris said...

I enjoy me food, thank you very much.

Jason, don't worry about what other people think. It only gets you in trouble because you feel guilty about it. Just enjoy it. :-)

 
Clicky Web Analytics