Thursday, February 26, 2009

Irresistible Force vs. Immovable Object

I've often suspected that there are two armies of angels fighting to influence the events of my life. The results are that I always have extremely good or extremely bad luck, and very little of the ordinary. Current events seem to point this out the back-and-forth between the two armies.

1. Bernie gets laid off of her job. That's not really bad luck, but it's a starting point.

2. To compensate, the guardian angels give us a nice tax return check, a rebate check, a refund from Lowes when the gas logs I bought in December went on sale 50% off, and several other little monetary windfalls in the couple of weeks following.

3. The evil angels can't allow such blatant tampering from the other side. They cause a water pipe under my sink upstairs to burst, flooding my bedroom and bathroom and causing a waterfall from the ceiling downstairs. The deductible on the insurance wipes out the tax return. The plumber bill wipes out the rebate and the refund.

4. Bernie finds out she got overcharged for groceries at Trader Joe's and gets her money back. A small victory for the guardian angels.

5. Bernie vacuums the downstairs carpet after the drying machines are taken out. The vacuum sucks up a piece of plaster and breaks and dies, smelling of smoke. Evil scores a three-pointer.

6. As I look online for a new vacuum (over $100), I notice a review mentions the symptoms of a broken belt. Aha! I take a screwdriver to the vacuum and that's indeed what is wrong with the vacuum cleaner! I find the belt on amazon for $4. Take that, evil angels!

7. The forces of evil strike back in a small way - shipping is $8, twice as much as the belt itself. So Bernie adds a bottle of Dermalogica for $20 to get free shipping. Stalemate?

2 comments:

Bern said...

Should not have gotten out of bed last month. Perhaps I should just hibernate for awhile. Wake me up when this is all over....

Sophie said...

At least, you got some Dermalogica out of the deal. Which reminds me, I need to restock!

 
Clicky Web Analytics