Tuesday, May 02, 2006

It's American Idol time again!

I totally didn't get the theme tonight - Tribute to Billboard. What does that mean? Apparently, you can pick anything Billboard ever ranked.

Anyhoo....on to the performances and my brilliant analysis:

Taylor: Did two of my personal favorite songs. "Play That Funky Music" was ok, but he overdid the dancing again. I personally think if he'd dressed in a pimp outfit and done this one standing up, he'd have had a better grade. "Something in the way she moves" was just fantastic. I totally could see Joe Cocker doing this one the same way. Taylor survives to see Elvis next week.

Elliott: This dude has completely turned his fortunes around in the last 3 weeks. I think he read my blog and took my advice to ditch the vanilla stuff and embellish his vocals. His two songs tonight were "On Broadway" and a tearjerker from Micheal Buble who's title I didn't catch and he did them both well. Elliott survives.

Chris: Rocked out. "Renegade", Foreigner's version of "Bohemian Rhapsody", in my opinion, was done well, but not better than the original. Possible violation of rule 6, but the song is so old that I don't think the world cares. His second song was also done well, but wasn't memorable. Chris has such a lead on the rest that I think he could sing "Mary had a little lamb" and still move on next week.

Katharine: "Against All Odds" was off-pitch a lot, but the recap made it sound better than I remembered. The choruses were good. I hated the arrangement. Her second song, which title I didn't catch, is a current hit and was great, great, great. Katharine keeps rolling.

Paris: "Kiss"...interesting, she chose to do it in the Tom Jones style, which was a good move. It didn't pop, though. Good, but not memorable. The second song, she violated rule 6, but the judges seemed to let her get away with it. In my opinion, they are being kind since they know she's going home this week. I think Paris tried out for AI three years too soon. If she had more sex appeal (and at 16, she doesn't), she'd have a better chance. I think Paris gets sent packing this week.

Revised predictions: Chris leads, Katharine is second, and Elliott has passed Taylor for #3.

Next week: Supposedly, this will be an Elvis theme. If Paris goes home this week, this will be a dogfight between Taylor and Elliott to determine who stays. Taylor has the advantage due to the theme.

5 comments:

eaf said...

I just watched Idol on DVR since we were watching the Canes game, and I agree with you mostly.

Taylor: I enjoyed the showmanship and the fearlessness he showed on "Funky Music." And I think it was ballsy to pull The Beatles off the Billboard chart. He wins on a technicality there. And he sang the hell out of it. He's not The Beatles, but he worked it.

Elliot: On Broadway rocked... the song about going home was a little weird considering the nature of the contest. No matter how well I might sing it, I wouldn't sing anything about wanting to go home on this show.

Chris: I actually didn't erase the show after I watched it today because I want MY Chris to hear how Dautry sang Renegade. OMFG, it was fantastic. The other song was totally what I would expect Chris to sing, but I was worried his vocal cords were going to burst out of his throat and land in a gooey mass on Simon's head. Actually, that would have been funny, but that's not the point. He needs to rest up and enjoy some honey lemon bourbon tea before he finds himself on American Mime.

Katherine: "Against All Odds" is just a horrid, boring song, and this arrangement was even worse. I'm not sure she sang very much of it on pitch, either. Singing KT Tunstall's latest hit was very smart though, and although there were some pitch issues there too, I loved it. Kudos to her for featuring a couple of the musicians. Good to see singers understanding where their bread is buttered.

Paris: I hate when people take a song meant for one sex and change it by inserting the opposite sex into it. Especially when the key word (in this case, "girl") is the rhyming word of the lyrics ("Boy" does NOT rhyme with "Girl." I'd rather wrongly think you are a lesbian than have you butcher a Prince lyric.) However, she sang it well. The second number was all her, but I agree, Jason... she's just 16, and not sexy enough for me.

I totally agree with all your predictions, dude. Right on.

Jessica said...

I have a friend who thinks that Paris is the only "IDOL" left in the competition, and everyone else is blandy.

I couldn't disagree with her more, but I think there's probably enough people like her in the US to keep Paris another week.

I think Taylor's schtick has run it's course, like Pickler last week.

Jessica said...

Oh, the theme was twofold...
The first song was one from the year of the respective prospective Idol's birth and the second song was supposed to be a current Top Ten song on any of the Billboard charts, which include, pop, AC, rap, etc etc...I still don't know how Taylor Tics snuck the Beatles in there....

Bern said...

So Jason's prediction was right!! Good job, hon.
Paris goes home!

Jason said...

Taylor got away with the Beatles because their box set is in the top 10 on Billboard album sales this week. A technicality, yes, but true.

Paris will probably be better off by going home tonight in the long run.

 
Clicky Web Analytics