Monday, April 17, 2006

Sore and Happy

I can hardly lift my arms today. It was so hard to get out of bed this morning, that I called in sick. This is from wrestling with a roto-tiller and shovelling and raking and lifting bags of dirt on Saturday, followed by more lifting and then seeding and fertilizing the grass on Sunday. My parents came over to help on Saturday, and they were too tired to go to church on Sunday, so I could have predicted how bad I'd hurt today.

Did I mention that I love/hate lawn maintenance? Hate the work, love the results.

Saturday night, Bernie and I had to make dessert for Easter dinner on Sunday, so we took our tired and burned out selves and tried to make a cheesecake. I knew - KNEW, mind you - that I should consult the Alton Brown archives to make sure I was doing it right, but I was too tired and simply followed the index-card family recipe that mentions ingredients and the only mention of cooking technique was "1 hour at 375". It turned out about like you would expect. Brown, cracked, falling apart (but quite tasty, strangely enough).

For those of you who read Bernie's blog in addition to mine, let me give you the menu for Easter lunch, since she didn't mention it.

Appetizers:
Celery with pimento cheese
watermelon rind sweet pickes
olives
Devilled eggs

Main course:
Spiral-cut ham
Yeast rolls
Southern-cooked Lima Beans (known as Butterbeans to us)
Potato Salad
Cranberry jello cobbler

Dessert:
Lemon curd cake
Cheesecake with oreo crust (the aforementioned disaster)

Today, nature rewarded me with a rainshower, so I don't have to water the lawn. I've been a lazy slob and haven't lifted a finger all day. Tomorrow, back to work, then on the road for the rest of the week.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I guess this weekend was all about lawn maintenance, eh? I still need to mow, but that is a job for the gaggle of kids down the street.

Jason said...

Gotta HAVE a lawn to get to the mowing part. I had a patchy mess last house, and I want a real lawn this time. My across-the-street neighbor has the 'yard-of-the-month' type lawn, and I don't want to get the dirty eyeball from the rest of the 'hood.

Bern said...

Yes, it would be kinda sad to see our flower bed looking like a bed of dried potpourri.

 
Clicky Web Analytics