Monday, March 20, 2006

We're in!

Finally! We have moved all our stuff over the last 3 weeks, and now we have moved ourselves into the new house. TV, phone, internet, etc is all hooked up and running, and we've slept in the new place for the past two nights.

I had forgotten how disconcerting it is to adjust to a new living configuration. I haven't slept well for these two nights, though the bed is comfy (1200 thread count sheets from our wedding booty). I'm not completely sold on the shower (separate shower stall and tub, and the stall is not roomy enough for my taste, and the water pressure from the shower head I installed isn't as powerful as I'm used to). But overall, it's great.

Another realization that you only make when you move is that you discover how much stuff you have, and I've discovered that while I don't have an amazingly huge load of possessions (despite what my wife says), I do have two things that are hugely out of proportion with my other stuff. 28 boxes of books, for instance. 28!!! I'm floored by that, truly. My plan is to siphon off the ones I like best, and to get rid of most of them. At least half.

The other thing that is out of proportion is my kitchen stuff. I know that my old roomie, Bert, and I were kitchen-crazy, but I apparently have 10 steel mixing bowls, and I don't even bake! Top that off with the set that Bernie and I got when we got married, and something's gotta give. Several chopping gadgets are on their way out as well, as I need the shelf space. I didn't realize that I hadn't left a place for flour, sugar, etc in their respective bins, and now I need a shelf for those. (Grits get a bin, too - this IS the South, you know.)

Of course, some things have just disappeared during the move. I had a board for hanging keychains on - gone. I had a knife magnet - gone. My refrigerator magnets!!! - gone. My marker board for the grocery list - gone. Every tiny piece of computer-related junk that I wish had gotten lost made it through the move, but all my ethernet patch cables? Gone. Sacrifices to the storage deity. I had to go to Wal-Mart at 11pm last night to get Bernie's PC on the internet so she could work from home today.

Anyway, after all the lifting and such, I am sore and tired and here it is Monday again. Work. Ugh. Maybe after I post this, I can wake up fully and start working.

Quick notes:
Elizabeth and Chris delivered their second child this weekend after a grueling 2 whole hours of labor. Congrats to the new second-time parents and newborn Marcus!
Not a good weekend for customer service. Had to cuss out the car dealer for not returning phone calls or sending our tube of touch-up paint as promised, had 2 terrible experiences at restaurants, and the Dish Network guy who was supposed to arrive between 12 and 3 showed up at 7pm, never called, did a crappy job, and whined the whole time about how long a day he had had. My heart bleeds. Really. Not.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for the shout out. Marcus is doing great.

I'm glad you guys are getting settled.

Bern said...

So my husband beat me to this post! Well so I guess I get to talk about the cat :)

eaf said...

Um... to be fair, it was 2.5 grueling hours.

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are moved in, it was time to leave the parental nest :) Just kidding, I'm sure you are thrilled to be in your new home. Can't wait to see Bernie's great decoration job!

Bern said...

My deco sense is currently burried under masses of boxes and misc. stuff! haha. I dunno if it will ever emerge.

 
Clicky Web Analytics