Monday, March 13, 2006

Geek heaven

Did it. I've been threatening for a month, but I finally pulled it off. The new house now has in-the-wall wired ethernet. No more slow, insecure, cranky wireless network for me!

I called a structured wiring company and the guy came out and put in an OnQ cabinet, which basically pulls the outside wires for phone, cable, etc inside the house. Then I had Time Warner hook me up with Road Runner (no television - I'm getting satellite TV. 100% of my cable bandwidth is dedicated to internet this way) and mounted the cable modem in the OnQ cabinet. I bought a fast router and mounted it in the cabinet, then tonight I took the Cat-5e that was supposed to be for my phone jacks (I'm using VoIP and cordless phones, so no need for them) and re-terminated both ends for ethernet and plugged it into the router. Presto! 100Mbps in the wall!

The bonus was that one of the outlets upstairs had two sets of Cat-5, so if I go wireless later, I can put the wireless router upstairs and get better coverage.

Eat your hearts out, folks. Geeks rule.

3 comments:

Bern said...

I may not understand all the mumbo-jumbo geek talk but am sure proud of my husband! I also know what's a Cat-5e now. But can someone explain why "5"? Coz I see more than 5 wires.

Chris said...

I can understand what he said and I'm jealous. Very nice. :-)

Here's a quick definition for you:

CAT5 is an Ethernet cable standard defined by the Electronic Industries Association and Telecommunications Industry Association (commonly known as EIA/TIA). CAT5 is the 5th generation of twisted pair Ethernet cabling and the most popular of all twisted pair cables in use today.

Bern said...

Ahhh.. Thanks Chris! I get it now.

 
Clicky Web Analytics