Sunday, April 29, 2007

Twas a Good Weekend

Nice weekend, but nothing much to report except for cooking and eating, which we shouldn't be doing much of.

Yesterday, we went to see the Malaysian women bowlers, then a quick shopping trip and then to my mom and dad's place, where I helped them move their potted patio plants so they can have their new deck built next week. Mom had a new recipe from the Weber grill cookbook for Eastern NC BBQ. She had defrosted a pork boston butt and slathered it with rub. I then put it on the grill in indirect heat, with hickory wood chips on top of the fire, and left it going for five hours, until it was falling apart. Then we pulled all the meat apart and soaked it in the sauce made from vinegar, red pepper flakes, sugar, etc which is the Eastern NC Barbeque magic potion.

It was delicious.

Today, we celebrated my Dad's birthday (his 60th!) and I grilled burgers over at his house and we had cake and ice cream. Mom got the cake from Costco and it was the darkest, richest, chocolatey-est cake I've ever seen or tasted in my life. It was black. Not brown, but black as night all the way through with dark chocolate bittersweet shavings stuck to the dark chocolate frosting. The cocoa content of this cake was off the scale. It was great, but no one is going to be craving chocolate for awhile.

Tonight, Bernie and I are worn out, even though we haven't done much in the way of exercise. I wonder if the choco-endorphins are working on us. Anyway, we sleep with the angels this night. Zzzzzzzzzz...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would this be the famous Rib Rub?

Man that stuff is good on mashed potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Costco Cakes. We get those for birthdays at work. YUMMY!!!! Their chocolate ones are really good. I'm in chocoholic heaven right now myself. My parents came back from Belgium yesterday with a suitcase full of delicious treats. I'm loving it. My butt's loving it. My pants will hate me tomorrow morning.

So, is the deck going to look like the one at the "Springs"?

Jason said...

Not my rub. They used one the recipe called for. I don't think it made a difference, really.

We tried to inspire them with pictures of your folks' deck, Sophie, but they already have an idea. I think it's going to look like a stage with stairs going all the way around it.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...a stage you say. I smell "American Idol Karoke Night" at the parents' house....

 
Clicky Web Analytics