Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Harry Potter

I realized this weekend that I hadn't pre-ordered my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet, so I went on to Amazon and did my duty. Only to hear the wail of dismay from my wife, who had already done so for an early birthday present for me. Now we'll have two copies. Oh well.

Anyway, I was wikipedia-browsing on Deathly Hallows today and I figured I could put my predictions for what will happen in the book into a blog post and maybe get Elizabeth and Chris to actually leave me a comment or two.

First, I think "hallows" is being used in its "relics of saints" definition. The "saints" being loosely interpreted as Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff, and Rowena Ravenclaw. So therefore, the "deathly hallows" are the relics of the founders of Hogwarts - which are horcruxes containing parts of the soul of Voldemort, keeping him alive after the death of his body.

Second, Sirius and Dumbledore will be helping Harry and the Order of the Phoenix from the afterlife. Dumbledore from his picture frame, and Sirius by the use of the two-way mirror he gave to Harry.

Third, Rowling has stated that we will learn a lot about Lily Potter in book 7. She has also said that Harry having his mother's eyes is a crucial fact that will play out in book 7. It has been stated in previous books that Harry's protection from Voldemort is due to Lily's dying in order to protect him. Dumbledore "had a gleam in his eyes" when he heard that Voldemort had returned from the dead with the use of Harry's blood. I add this all up and theorize that Lily's death may have caused the equivalent of a white-magic horcrux, preserving Lily's soul after death and protecting Harry. You have to commit a murder to create a horcrux, so maybe the white-magic equivalent requires sacrificing oneself to save another. When Voldemort used Harry's blood to return to life, he may have put a piece of Lily into himself which can be exploited as a weakness.

Based on something Rowling said, I think Harry, Hermione, and Ron all survive the series. I think Neville and perhaps Hagrid will die in the course of the story. Just a guess.

R.A.B. is Regulus Black, and the amulet horcrux was found in 12 Grimmauld Place in Book 6.

Three of the six horcruxes have been found - Tom Riddle's diary, Slytherin's ring, and the locket. This leaves items from Griffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff to be found. Is Godric's sword one? I think that Harry's scar is the seventh horcrux and we'll see a dilemma as to whether Harry should kill himself in order to rid the world of Voldemort. I think Lily's horcrux will be the key to Harry's survival.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Interesting. Honestly, I need to start rereading the series to get back up to date on everything Potter.

 
Clicky Web Analytics