Thursday, September 21, 2006

The News Is Here!

Alrighty, and now we reveal the fruits of the secret project...

A couple of months ago, I had a series of bad bad bad days at work. I remember thinking that if I were the manager, I would probably fire myself. Well, that night, I made a foray into monster.com and sent in some resumes.

Well, those resumes got me two interviews. Those two interviews got me a follow-up interview. That follow-up interview got me an interview with a Vice President, and a week later, I got a job offer. That offer got me a chance to negotiate, and I got a better job offer and I accepted. Today, I informed my boss and gave notice. We are going to have to negotiate the notice because I need to give a bit more notice in order to collect for my untaken vacation, but it's official that I'm leaving and it's all out in the open now.

I'm getting a substantial raise, a shorter commute, a more narrow job description, a better management structure, a bigger company, and duties that I know how to execute and execute well. This will be a lot like the job I performed during my favorite time at IBM, before they decided to lay everyone off and let me do their jobs instead. I'm excited.

I do have to give up a trip to the mountains with Mama and Papa Lau, which I regret terribly, but on the plus side, I can stay home and make sure the cat doesn't get lonely and take revenge by peeing on something. I managed to salvage the Myrtle Beach trip and a few days of the Williamsburg trip in December, so all is not lost.

I hope some of you didn't die of anticipation! This was a big undertaking and I'm more than happy to reveal all and boast of my success. I think we may be financially secure enough to start thinking about kids now.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Congrats!

As far as kids, Sophie is right - financial security is overrated. You'll never have enough money; no matter how much you have, you'll always "just manage".

Anonymous said...

well done!!! congratulations!!! so happy for you! i wished i have your courage.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Don't feel bad about not joining us to the mountains.

The reason for us coming is to spend quality time with you both.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Matthews Jason! We'll have to do lunch sometime, though I doubt it will be one of the 2+ hr outings like in the IBM days of old.

eaf said...

Congrats! Now, are you free on Thursday or Friday to take a long lunch and help Chris move a dining room table for us? We'll call you!

 
Clicky Web Analytics