Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Love Being Wrong!

Tonight, at least, I love being wrong. Bye-bye to Michael Johns! I've never really bought into the things the judges have said about him.

To be fair, I didn't hear him sing on Tuesday except for the recap at the end, which an article on E! revealed was a clip from rehearsal (something I was certain happened a lot last season, by the way).

Pretty much everyone was stunned at this elimination, however. Dialidol didn't have him in the bottom three, but had him listed as "in danger". They were sure Carly or Syesha was going home. Tivo predicted Syesha was going home, based on number of viewers + rewinds. Pretty much every article I read today predicted a bottom three of Carly, Syesha, and either David Cook or Kristy Lee, with either Syesha or Carly being the bottom vote-getter.

In my opinion, Michael's had one good week in the competition, and every other week, he was getting by on unfounded praise from the judges. What happened to evaporate his voting base, however, is a mystery.

So, what do you readers think? Was this as stunning as the Chris Daughtry elimination two years ago?

UPDATE:
I've been thinking about it and I think there was a perfect storm of circumstances that might have brought this about this week.

  • Michael and David Cook share a demographic - young adult males.
  • Michael and David Archuleta also share one - teenage females and young adult females.
  • David Cook had a weak performance this week, and David Archuleta had a particularly strong performance.
  • Cook performed a song by a current alt-rock band that I'm guessing is popular among college-aged males.
  • Archuleta performed a song by Robbie Williams that was a bit more adult-appealing than his usual choices.

I'm guessing that college-age males rallied behind Cook to save him, and young adult females were swayed Archuleta's way by his song choice and strong performance. Both groups were stolen from Michael John's usual voter demographics.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics