Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Wife's Evil List

Bernie and I went to church this morning, and she took out her little note pad and started scribbling during the service. I peeked and saw that she was making a shopping list for Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse. Uh oh.

So right after church, we go to Lowe's. Here's the list as I remember it:
4 bags of mulch
6 bags of pea gravel (later reduced to 3)
10 bags of top soil (later reduced to 5 after I mentioned that 10 bags at 40 lbs each was 400lbs)
2 bags of garden soil
black plastic sheeting
Castle Wall bricks

I start wondering if I'm going to need a bigger truck.

We dropped the sheeting from the list because I knew we had some already, and we left off the castle wall because we were already pulling two heavy flatbed carts and Bernie was struggling to move the lightest one.

We added:
4 rectangular paving stones (to put in front of the lawn mower house)
1 bag of lawn fertilizer (with 4% iron)

Strangely, this whole haul only cost us $50, and we had a $10 off coupon.

(Since this wild urge to do yardwork hit her during mass, I have to assume that it didn't come from heaven.)
We were not looking forward to putting this stuff in the truck. Bernie stood around with her cart, giving her best "helpless little girl" act, and one of Lowe's teenage employees told her to pull the truck around and he'd load it for her. Then I showed up with the second cart. (Sucker!) I took pity and helped load, though.
(Bernie was really evil today and will need to go to church again next week to ask forgiveness.)

Then we got home and had three hours before the basketball game. I decided to take the initiative and choose a project myself. We've been wanting to use some of the flat landscaping stones from the fountain project and make a cobblestone path to the garden around the fountain. So Bernie and I pulled up all the grass in the area (we had to take turns because of the heat), put down landscape fabric, poured out some of the pea gravel, put down the flat stones, and filled in with more pea gravel. This took us a couple of hours, but was really hot and exhausting.

It looks pretty good, though. We intend to take this project a little bit further next Sunday.

Meanwhile, the grass-growing experiment in the front yard continues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear a lot of folks to to church to catch up on their grocery list, honey-do list, update their calendars, write birthday cards, answer past due emails on their blackberries, etc... Guess it's the only time where you are not bothered too much (except for that whole sitting/standing thing...can't they make up their mind???)

 
Clicky Web Analytics