Friday, November 21, 2008

Nearing the beginning

As of today, I have 10 days left in which I can eat 'normally'. Meaning, like I always have eaten.

As of Nov 30, I am on a liquid, high-protein diet. With raw veggies as my only solids.
This will continue for two weeks, when I check into the hospital for my gastric bypass surgery.

Following surgery, I will be ingesting only ice chips for two days, followed by clear liquids for a week (including soluble protein powder, 70g a day), followed by thicker liquids for another week or two. Then I get to eat pureed foods only, 1/4 cup each meal (if I can handle that much, which most people don't) for a few more weeks, following which I can have soft foods in the same amounts for about a month. After that, I can start working in foods that require a little bit of chewing, but the 1/4 cup quantities will be all that I will be able to fit into my stomach for the better part of a year.

The upshot of this is that by the time I work up to eating semi-normal foods in 1/2 cup sized meals, I should have lost approximately 120 pounds of excess weight.

Thanksgiving dinner will be, almost literally, my last supper.

I consider this to be a fitting end to a lifetime of unhealthy habits and the beginning of a new lifetime of new rules.

Say goodbye to the fat guy while he's here, everyone!

6 comments:

Bern said...

But what if I want my fat guy back??!!

Anonymous said...

It's a big change no doubt. I imagine that next Thanksgiving you're old eating habits will be a foreign thing to you.

I saw the same thing in my dad after he had angioplasty several years ago. It scared him and he made a complete 180 on a lifetime of bad habits. Now he wonders how he ever managed to eat what he did.

eaf said...

In all honesty, I'm terrified. So I can't imagine how you guys are feeling. I'm sure you can do it though. Truly.

Anonymous said...

Jason we are with you all the way and we know you can do it.

Sophie said...

I think what you are doing is awesome, and brave and we will cheer and support you through it all!!!! Enjoy your 'last supper'.

Kathy said...

Good luck with the surgery. I had a gastric bypass 2 years ago. The liquid diet is the worst part, but the changes you experience post-op will erase all that misery. Best decision of my life. Hope yours goes like textbook.

 
Clicky Web Analytics