Sunday, July 20, 2008

Second Time Around

Two weeks ago, I decided to ask Bernie if she wanted to do the Master Cleanse again with me, and we started it again yesterday.

I decided that I needed an exercise in discipline, so far as food is involved, anyway. Basically, fasting for 10 days (only drinking the lemon drink for sustenance) should break the psychological ties to eating that tend to derail my attempts to lose weight.

If you'll recall, I made it 1 day on this cleanse last time, while Bernie made it 7 days (we had a family event, so she ended it early). Today is the beginning of the second day, and so far, so good. I wasn't actually hungry at all yesterday - while I did have some mild urges to eat, they were based on habit, not hunger, and were easy to resist.

I'm intending to go all the way on this one - 10 days. I'm still deciding if I want to follow that up with a week or so of liquid diet, or just with traditional dieting. My rationale is that this will definitely shrink my stomach and break the habits of eating, so dieting should be very easy after the cleanse.

I've probably told everyone that reads my blog this in person already, but just in case you don't already know - I'm intending to have a gastric bypass at the end of the year. I've met the criteria, and have been going to various appointments to get all the prerequisites out of the way for insurance, etc. Once I've done all that homework, I can get on the schedule for surgery. The surgeon told me that the more weight I can lose before the operation, the better my chances are for having zero complications. Therefore, I'm trying to diet, exercise, and think rationally about food. I'm also practicing things like chewing my food better, so that I can be better prepared for life after a bypass.

I'll make a longer, more detailed post about gastric bypass later on.

3 comments:

eaf said...

My unasked for advice is this: Start thinking of the food you eat as tools for your demise. Seriously. Once you have that surgery, there are things that... if you eat them... they will kill you. It's amazing how much better my uncle was able to eat once he had only part of a kidney left. "Wow... I really want that potato, but if I eat it, I will die."

Very motivational. I sound morbid, but I'm only worried. We're cheering for you. It's a really tough thing you are about to do. I'm scared.

Sophie said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, surgery. Somebody in my family had it (they have sworn me to secrecy, so I shall keep the secret of whom it is, even on this blog he will never read). His pre-surgery eating was some low carb, high protein drink from GNC for breakfast, a high protein, low carb shake from GNC mixed with a banana for lunch, a spinach salad and a lean cuisine for dinner. And maybe cottage cheese for dessert with a few pieces of pineapple mixed in? He said the high protein made him full. It's been about 2 years since the surgery, and he won't shut up about how handsome and thin he is. The doctors tell him he's too thin, and he thinks it's awesome. So just don't turn into a "I'm so handsome!" freak.

 
Clicky Web Analytics