Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Computer Hassles

I came home last night to the news that Bernie's monitor had 'blown up'. I went upstairs and checked and it sure seemed that way. Burning smell, nothing on screen, etc.

So, I got online on my PC and discovered a great deal at Circuit City. A 22-inch widescreen LCD for $200 after rebate. I was all over that (both of us have 19 inch LCDs, so this would be an upgrade), so I bought it online and we picked it up at the store. I unboxed it when I got home, and found that it didn't fit in Bernie's hutch (awww), so out of the goodness of my heart, I offered her my monitor and volunteered to take the new one. (Grin)

Since I was coming out on the better side of the deal, I decided to hook up her computer first. I hauled my monitor upstairs and hooked it up to her PC, and there was no difference. I must be slipping - I know better than to buy a component without troubleshooting first, but this time I got slack, and it bit me. I removed her video card, and plugged the monitor into the on-board video, and bingo, we got video again (crappy video, but video nonetheless).

So, I had to take that beautiful monitor back to the store tonight. (Sigh) I got Bernie a slight upgrade in video cards (NVIDIA 6500 up from 5500), and got everything working again, and it cost me $65 as opposed to $200. That's a good thing, right?

Then how come my monitor suddenly looks so small?

8 comments:

Bern said...

The husband twisted the story a little. We already knew a 22 inch monitor would NOT fit and he also knew that I do not care for a 22 inch. I am happy with my 17 inch monitor.(It is not a 19 inch one)
So he talked me into taking over his current monitor so he could have a 22 inch monitor. I married a sneaky guy.

Jason said...

We have the exact same monitor, dear, and it is 19 inch.

Bern said...

I used a ruler and measured it!!!

Jason said...

Actual viewing area and monitor size are not the same thing. It's a marketing thing.

Jason said...

Oh, and I actually did take the 22 inch monitor upstairs and tried it in your hutch. It came within a half-inch of fitting. So close!

Anonymous said...

some people will do anything for a new flat panel display!

Jason! join me on linkedin.com... mike williams (data) here... remember me?!?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/datamike

Hope you are doing great these days, man! data@us.ibm.com

Jason said...

Wow! a blast from the past! Glad you found me, Mike!

Anonymous said...

Jason...

Hope you are doing well in your new life, man! (Glad you found a sail)... send me an e-mail and let me know what's new... data@us.ibm.com

-Mike (data).

 
Clicky Web Analytics